Here’s a thought:
Wouldn’t it be awesome if your bash prompt could show you:
- Your current working directory.
- Which git repository you’re currently in.
- Which git branch you’re currently on (if not master).
- How many outstanding files you have (files that need to be added or committed).
- How many changes ahead (or behind) origin/HEAD you currently are.
- Your current virtualenv (for Python development, but doesn’t hurt other languages)
Well, all this is possible (and more, probably!). I worked a bit on getting all these features working this afternoon. The source code is pretty rough, but I think this could be useful enough for others that I should start to share it. I’ll likely put this in it’s own github repository eventually. But, for now, here’s a simple gist with my ~/.bash_prompt source.
To use this, just copy it to your home directory, and add the following to the bottom of your ~/.bashrc: